Posted by Mylinh Cao
12:52 BST - 7 June 2012
Here at Dignity in Dying we consider ourselves very lucky to have Patrons ranging from Sirs Patrick Stewart and Terry Pratchett, to actors Kim Cattrall and Hugh Grant, to authors Nell Dunn and Ian McEwan, as well as a host of other luminaries. On top of their continued commitment to the campaign, this growing list of Patrons recently told us they wanted to do something more to help. They wanted to do something different; something which could help raise awareness of our campaign among the wider public, and also generate some money to help fund the campaign’s crucial next steps.
And so Dignity in Dying is proud to invite you to our unique online auction – Bidding for Choice 2012. Our Patrons have donated 18 incredible items for auction, ranging from one-off experiences to signed collectibles. On offer at Bidding for Choice 2012 is:
- Dinner for two with Sir Terry Pratchett at an Exclusive Private Members Club, London
- VIP day at Channel 5’s The Wright Stuff with Matthew Wright
- Jazz legend George Melly memorabilia, including prints of his artwork, his 1960 Melody Maker Award and his Mont Blanc fountain pen
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel goody bag from author Deborah Moggach
- Limited edition Sex and the City complete series DVD, signed by Kim Cattrall, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kristin Davis and Cynthia Nixon
- Sir Patrick Stewart’s signed personal script of the new BBC adaptation of Richard II (to be broadcast late June), in which he plays John of Gaunt
- The Pirates! In An Adventure with Scientists film poster signed by Hugh Grant
- A first edition of Atonement, signed by Ian McEwan
- Zoe Wanamaker signed script (the series 8, episode 803 The Wax Job) and photo of the full cast of My Family
- First edition of The Book of the Homeless, ed. Edith Wharton (1916), donated by Carmen Callil
- Jo Brand’s memoir Can’t Stand up for Sitting Down, signed by the author
- Third Star exclusive Crew T-Shirt and film DVD, from screenwriter Vaughan Sivell
- 1990 Oscar winner’s sweatshirt and signed photo of Brenda Fricker
- Signed copy of Nell Dunn’s My Silver Shoes, Hardback
- Vintage beaded dress worn once on the red carpet by Dame Janet Suzman
- Sequined evening jacket worn by Dame Janet Suzman
- A Toshiba AT200 ultra-thin tablet donated by Nick Ross of Crimewatch fame
- German presentation train set, Märklin 37737 Finanzpräsentation 2012 Deutsche Bahn, from Nick Ross’s personal collection
Interested in bidding? Want to get your hands on that signed first edition of your favourite book? Or win a chance to pick Sir Terry’s brains over dinner?
The auction opens next week, on Wednesday 13th June, on Dignity in Dying’s eBay page. We’ll be sure to post the link once it is live, so remember to check back on the blog or sign up to our online mailing list for a reminder and link to the page once it’s up!
All auction listings will last just 3 weeks and will finish on Wednesday 4th July, with items sold to the highest bidder. Don’t delay or miss out - spread the word and join us online next week at Bidding for Choice 2012.